Do you wish to change the color, look and the way you feel about your car or vehicle without having to paint or respray? Do you want to change your car’s appearance and give it a new identity? If yes, you are in the right place. In this article, we will be discussing how much it costs to wrap a car and also brief you on what car wrapping is all about.
What is car wrapping?
The term ‘car wrapping’ is the use of vinyl films or wraps to partially or completely cover a vehicle. When a vehicle is wrapped, the vinyl film tends to serve as a protective layer. It protects a car from light scratches, makes the vehicle eye-catching and appealing.
What material is used during car wrapping?
Car wrapping is accomplished by using heavy duty vinyl films accompanied with strong adhesive backing, an addition of polyvinyl chloride(which accounts for the strength, thermo-tolerance and neat appearance).
How does car wrapping work?
After car wrapping, no part of your car or vehicle initial color will show on the surface of the wrap, it will be totally invisible and people will think that the car was painted because it works exactly how a paint works but better, considering the fact that it is resistant to scratches.
The good thing about car wrapping is that you can choose if you want to do a partial covering or a complete covering. And the most interesting part is that you can remove it at any time you wish.
Apart from using wrapping as an alternative to painting, it can also be used for the purpose of advertising and branding.
Types of car wrapping
There are different types of car wrapping vehicle owners can choose from depending on the purpose and function a vehicle serves:
1. Color Vinyl Wrapping: This is a common form of wrapping; in this type the car or vehicle color is completely changed using a non-transparent vinyl film.
2. Advertising Wrapping: This method or type of wrapping is used to create awareness of your brand and are scarcely used in cars but mostly found in vans, trucks and lorries.
3. Clear Vinyl Wrapping: In contrast to the color vinyl wrapping, this type has a transparent vinyl film and maintains the car or vehicle original color.
Tools required for car wrapping
The following tools are the most necessary to complete car wrapping successfully:
1. Vinyl Wrap
3. Cutting tape
4. Measuring taps
5. Infrared thermometer
6. Heat gun
7. Cutting blade
8. Safety glasses
10. Microfiber towel / cloth
12. Clay bar
13. Spray bottle
14. Snitty blade
Process of car wrapping
The first stage of car wrapping is the preparation which a professional accurately measures the vehicle and check if it is suitable for car wrapping before which you would have determined the color you want your car to be.
In the second stage, the car surface is cleaned, prepped, decontaminated and striped to eliminate any problem with the adhesion of the vinyl wrap.
Lastly, the printed vinyl is applied by the professional and is post heated at about 100 degrees Celsius; less or more then the printed vinyl is re-shaped to your vehicle.
This process is done by expert teams and professionals with at least a bit of work experience to ensure the work goes smoothly.
How much does it cost to wrap a car?
The cost of wrapping a car ranges from $2000 to $15,000, depending on the type of car, type of wrapping and material used. The high price of car wrapping is a result of the intensive nature of the job.
Flat, smooth and simple design cars are considered to be the simplest vehicle to wrap, while cars with complex designs or curves are found to be very difficult. Also, when a special wrapping is requested with custom designs, the cost of wrapping would increase. Below is a breakdown of the cost of wrapping some cars:
1. Coupe: $2,000
2. Sedan: $3,000
3. Compact Crossover: $3,500
4. SUV: $4,000
5. Sports Car: $5,000 – $15,000
Advantages of car wrapping
1. The cost of car wrapping is lower than that of painting.
2. It helps the car or vehicle to maintain a high resale price.
3. It is an affordable means of customizing your vehicle.
4. It is removable.
5. It does not affect paint work.
6. The colors do not fade easily.
7. It is durable and last for a very long period of time. 6 – 11 years.
8. It may have warranty depending on the agreement.
9. Car wrapping does not take time.
10. It can easily be used to market products and services; for advertising.
11. It can be upgraded easily.
12. It is identical to paint.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Car Wrapping
Can Car Vinyl Wraps Be Washed?
Yes, car wraps can be washed preferably with a touchless system or pressure wash. The use of sponges, brushes and brute forces may destroy the wrap graphics, cause scratch, graphics dulling and pull off the edges of the wrap. Soft sponges can also be applied then rinse with soapy water and apply gentle wipes to sensitive areas.
Which Type of Car Can You Wrap?
You can wrap any type of car but according to the purpose you want them to serve. For example, a business van will be wrapped using the advertising method of wrapping.
Can I Remove Bubbles or Wrinkles from my Car Vinyl Wrap?
Yes, bubbles and wrinkles can be removed from car vinyl wraps with the aid of a heat gun.
Can Car Wraps Be Repaired?
Yes, car wraps can be repaired if the graphics fade away, the company can repair or replace the damaged or faded part.